Ajara Art Museum is an important center of contemporary Georgian culture. The exhibits, kept in their foundations create a solid collection, which gives a vivid idea of the main trends of XX century Georgian fine arts.
The museum is located in one of the historical buildings of Batumi, designed by a famous architect Kakha Javakhishvili in 1949. This monumental building is distinguished with its functional structure and aesthetic expression. It is characterized by its strict, refined architectonics and the simplicity of the decor. The facade is decorated with the relief frieze by a famous Georgian sculptor Tamar Abakelia (1951-52).
The Art Museum was founded in 1995 and filling the museum collections has started. Nowadays, the whole pleiad of great artists of different generations, who achieved worldwide fame in Georgian art is displayed here: Niko Pirosmani, Gigo Gabashvili, Mose Toidze, David Kakabadze, Lado Gudiashvili, Elene Akhvlediani, Merab Berdzenishvili, Edmund Kalandadze, Zurab Nizharadze, Nikoloz Ignatov, Esma Oniani, Gia Bughadze, Rusudan Petviashvili, and other masters.
The Art Museum was officially opened on December 19, 1998.